failed while receiving responses and jnl touching

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Apr 3 22:58:46 UTC 2006

> drummah wrote:
>
> >>Does anyone have thoughts on this (below)?  I am not sure why this is
> >>occuring.
> >>
> >>Thanks in advance!
> >>
> >>Jon Wayne

	Named will perform a AXFR if the IXFR deltas fail to apply cleanly.

	Because it was forced to request a AXFR.  Any journal it had is
	now incomplete.

> And Kevin Darcy replied:
>
> >Open a ticket with Microsoft on their crappy zone-transfer implementation.
>
> I have no reason to believe that the MS code has bugs.  I have seen this
> happen with one of my forward and reverse zone pairs that is under the
> control of a MS DHCP server.  If there happen to be a "large" (i.e.,
> more than a few) DDNS updates to the MS W2003 DNS Server at the same
> time, then I can see where the IXFR might start and then the zone
> information changes due to another incoming DDNS packet.  I am not
> familiar with the IXFR protocol, so I do not know how many "delta
> decks" need to be saved on the master.

	No limit is specified.  If the IXFR request cannot be
	satisfied using deltas then a AXFR style response is returned.

	In coming updates really should not affect IXFR or AXFR
	otherwise you can parform DoS on the zone transfer process.
	This is one of the areas we fixed with BIND 9 by allowing
	AXFR to complete while still accepting updates.  BIND 8
	aborts the AXFR on update.  Some other vendors do/did change
	the final SOA record of the AXFR.

	As always before reporting a bug ensure that you are running
	up to date code on both ends.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC