single ip multiple dns Linksys DHCP router

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Oct 24 21:34:16 UTC 2005

MikeW wrote:

>I am using Apache Virtual Hosting on my Fedora Core 2 system.  The
>system is on my local network and behind the the hardware firewall
>using a Linksys Wireless-G cable modem router.  Currently I have a
>quick fix using the hosts file on all my "local" machines, XP and Linux
>
>to assign the IP address I get from the Wireless-G to access my
>multiple web sites.
>

>I want to assign a domain name on the router from the web server
>machine so each machine will find the ip to may web server using the
>Linksys routers domain services.
>

>That translates to a single Linksys DHCP assigned "local" IP with
>multiple "local" domain names without using the hosts file on each
>computer.

Linksys routers can't provide a DNS hosting function, _per_se_ -- in
their default configuration, they just proxy DNS requests in and out --
but they *can* provide a different DNS resolver address to their DHCP
clients other than themselves. So, I'd suggest setting up your Linux box
as (mostly) a caching/iterative resolver (all you need for that is a
valid hints file), point all of your internal clients to that box for
resolution, and then set up and host "internal" versions of your
web-hosted zones from that box. For security's sake, if you ever
port-forward DNS to your internal nameserver (e.g. if you "DMZ" it), you
would want to limit the clients that can query and/or recurse to only
your own address range(s).

                                                            - Kevin

P.S. I tried to verify some of the above on Linksys' website, but
apparently their web server(s) are down right now (500 error --
"RESOURCE_RECLAIMED"????). So I'm just speaking from memory, as an owner
of several Linksys routers over the years...