catch all name server for parked domains

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Oct 14 04:26:24 UTC 2005

In article <dim6be$1ui3$1 at sf1.isc.org>, mazzawi at gmail.com wrote:

> hello,
>
> is it possible to set up bind so that it will redirect all domains to 1
> or 2 ip's
>
> i'm running a domain name reseller, and my customers parked domains are
> bieng parked by the parent company, (and they are keeping all the
> advertising profits from that)
> i want to set up my own nameserver that will redirect parked domains to
> pages with my own advertising on them.

You cold configure your server as a root server, with a wildcard record:

* IN A <address of your server>

However, this is poor design, because it will try to poison caches, and
some caching servers that are running out-of-date software will allow
themselves to be poisoned.

So you should just write a script that creates a new zone whenever a
customer registers a parked domain.  You can point all the zones to the
same zone file, which might look something like:

@ IN SOA ...
  IN NS ns1.yourdomain.com.
  IN NS ns2.yourdomain.com.
  IN A <address of your server>