Tweaking the DNS Server

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Oct 8 18:31:28 UTC 2005

In article <di8cma$kcc$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Andy Pieters <x_terminat_or_3 at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Querying the server directly by using nslookup (on Linux) produces the same
> .5

Why are you using nslookup instead of dig?  The latter tool will
actually tell you how long the lookup took.

> to 2sec delay the users are complaining about for the first resolve of a
> given domain.  Subsequent resolves for the same domain are instantanous but
> this cache is very short timewise (10-30min)

I think you need to investigate the problem that's causing the 2-second
delay in the first place.  That's not normal if you have a decent
Internet connection.

Most domains have cache TTLs between 1 hour and 1 day, so 10-30 minute
timeouts is also unusual.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA