internal external ?

RYAN vAN GINNEKEN luck at computerking.ca
Fri Oct 7 16:16:32 UTC 2005

Hello all i am having some troubles with my dns

here is the scenario

I have a cable modem supplied by my isp with 2 connections to the inet
one rj45 the other usb also i have 2 static ip's
ip address # 1 is my FreeBSD box that has an 192.168.0.202 internal and
external 68.x.x.1 address this box is called computerking.ca among other
things and controls my internal LAN firewall etc.  I have this machine
set up with internal and external views using bind it also controls
several other domains namely canmail.org
ip address # 2 is my  new Fedora/email server with an external address
of 68.x.x.2 and is not hooked to my LAN in anyway (that i am aware)

I can access the Freebsd boxes domains both internally and externally
however i can only access the canmail.org domain from outside my LAN
why?  Do i need an internal record for it? I realize that i need to add
internal records for domains that are hosted by the computerking.ca
server but canmail.org is not on the LAN and has its own ip address.
Actually i have to add internal records now as my slave server is broken
when slave is operating properly i can get to all domains without problems.

I have added the internal record for canmail and everything seems to
work but i am confused why is canmail.org internal? sorry for the
possibly silly post but i am curios as to what is going on.

$TTL 3600

canmail.org. IN SOA ns1.computerking.ca. root.computerking.ca. (
        2005100701      ; SERIAL
        1200            ; SOA REFRESH
        120             ; SOA RETRY
        1209600         ; SOA EXPIRE
        3600 )          ; SOA MINIMUM TTL or Negative caching TTL

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; NAME SERVERS (the name @ is implied)
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
canmail.org.            IN NS           ns1.computerking.ca.
canmail.org.            IN NS           ns1.shoemasters.com.

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; MAIL EXCHANGERS
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
canmail.org.            IN MX           5  mx1.canmail.org.
canmail.org.            IN MX           10 mail1.computerking.ca.
canmail.org.            IN MX           20 mail1.shoemasters.com.

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; ADDRESSES FOR THE CANOCICAL NAMES ( A records)
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
canmail.org.            IN A            68.146.204.153
mx1.canmail.org.      IN A              68.146.204.153
www.canmail.org.     IN A         68.146.204.152

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; ALIASES
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mail.canmail.org.               IN CNAME        www.canmail.org.
mm.canmail.org.                 IN CNAME        www.canmail.org.

;==============================================================================
;end of file

--
Computer King/CaNMail

http://www.computerking.ca     http://www.canmail.org

Sales, Service, and Hosting
Email, Data, and Web Packages
Ask about web design specials

Affiliates
http://www.computerking.ca/pages/links/affiliates/affiliates.htm

--

If you eat a live frog in the morning, nothing worse will happen to either of you for the rest of the day.