Help with multiple zones

Phusion phusion2k at gmail.com
Tue May 31 02:51:29 UTC 2005

I'm trying to make an internal DNS server using BIND9. We locally host
public webservers for multiple domains. I'm setting up the DNS server
so internal users can go to the local address instead of going out to
the internet to the public address. Like I said we have multple
domains which means mutiple zone files, this is where I need help. The
multple domains are because we've switched company names. I've
included a copy of the zone file for our main domain. I've used this
as an example for the other zone files. The DNS server this is on has
the address of ns.foo.com.

db.foo.com =3D Main Domain
$TTL    3600

@       IN      SOA     ns.foo.com. root.ns.foo.com.  (
                                20050510        ; Serial
                                3600    ; Refresh
                                900     ; Retry
                                3600000 ; Expire
                                3600 )  ; Minimum
@       IN      NS      ns.foo.com.

; Addresses for the canonical names
mail.foo.com.   IN      A       192.168.10.11
ns.foo.com.      IN      A       192.168.1.34

; Aliases
ntp.foo.com.     IN      CNAME   ns.foo.com.

I was wondering if the next zone is correct because I copied most of
the information except for the addresses at the bottom. I changed the
SOA line to say ns.foo.net, instead of ns.foo.com. Also, I changed the
NS line to say ns.foo.net. Is this correct? I've followed the same
pattern for the other zone files, just changing the address parts at
the bottom.
db.foo.net =3D Another domain
$TTL    3600

@       IN      SOA     ns.foo.net. root.ns.foo.net.  (
                                20050510        ; Serial
                                3600    ; Refresh
                                900     ; Retry
                                3600000 ; Expire
                                3600 )  ; Minimum
@       IN      NS      ns.foo.net.

; Addresses for the canonical names
phusion.foo.net. IN    A        192.168.10.27
dev.foo.net.      IN      A       192.168.1.35
reports.foo.net. IN      A       192.168.1.35

Let me know if this is correct? If not tell me what I should do. Thanks.

Phusion