1 second delay

Wayne Walker wwalker at bybent.com
Sat May 28 17:32:01 UTC 2005

I have a number of servers that need fast lookups.  I set up BIND named
on each one weeks ago, and changed /etc/resolv.conf to have 127.0.0.1 as
the first nameserver line.

They were running fine with ~500 ms lookups the first time for any host
in our domain.  Subsequent lookups for the same host were always in the
7-15 ms range!  :)

Starting yesterday, at least 2 of the servers are now getting an
addition full second of delay talking to the local DNS servers.

If I run "time host db", I get 0.020 when pointed to an external server,
I get 1.024 or 1.025 when pointed to 127.0.0.1.

Any ideas what to do to resolve this?

--

Wayne Walker

wwalker at gnumber.com

Do you care who calls your cell phone at 3 in the morning?
www.gnumber.com

wwalker at bybent.com                 Do you use Linux?!
http://www.bybent.com              Get Counted!  http://counter.li.org/
Perl - http://www.perl.org/        Perl User Groups - http://www.pm.org/