How to find ver in BIND 8.x for NT?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue May 17 23:48:33 UTC 2005

At 06:52 AM 5/12/2005, jasolution at yahoo.com wrote:
>Danny,
>
>Thank you for taking time to respond. What is odd about my install is
>that it does not write the version entry to the NT Event Log. I tried
>your suggestion to use "named -g", but that didn't work for me. Your
>suggestion did put me down the road of finally finding a command that
>did work -- "named -f -v" -- which revealed that I have 8.4.6.

-g may have been introduced with BIND 9, I forget. I haven't touched
BIND 8 in number of years. The startup always puts the version
information in the Event Log unles you are redirecting it to a file
through the named.conf configuration file.

>I'm considering an upgrade to 9, which is why I wanted to find my
>current version. Am I correct in understanding that v9 does not support
>round robin DNS through multiple CNAMEs like v8 does?

Because of a number of architectural issues that were finally fixed
in BIND 9.3.0 and 9.2.4 I don't recommend any version of BIND
earlier than those and none of the BIND 8 versions. BIND 9 does
support round robin but I have no idea what you mean by round robin
through multiple CNAME's nor why you need to use multiple CNAME's.

Danny