sub domain for ddns - resolving

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed May 11 07:19:45 UTC 2005

At 8:27 PM -0400 2005-05-10, Kevin Darcy wrote:

>  If you have anything bigger than just a "toy" network, I'd also give
>  serious consideration to using fully-qualified domain names exclusively
>  instead of shortnames. Once you get beyond a certain number of
>  subdomains, shortnames become problematic, but, unfortunately, it may be
>  too late by then, because using shortnames is one of those bad habits
>  that tends to be hard to get users to break.

	Indeed.  Consider the name of "gw".  Is that a short name or an
FQDN?  Since the ".gw" ccTLD for Guinea-Bissau has MX records, it can
be considered to be both.

	You can imagine how much trouble this caused for a wall street
trading firm that had their external mail server named
"gw.theirdomain.example.com", which they always referred to
internally as just "gw" when some systems apparently decided to
consider this an FQDN as opposed to an unqualified hostname.

	Fortunately for the wall street trading firm, the people who
operate the ".gw" ccTLD were bouncing mail to unknown parties as
opposed to silently sucking it all up and trying to see what they
could find out, otherwise we never would have discovered what was
causing a significant percentage of our outgoing mail to mysteriously
disappear.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755