Setting up an internal caching dns server with internal web server

skydiver_morgan at yahoo.com skydiver_morgan at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 12:14:07 UTC 2005

Should I make the masterzone defined as www. then add the a addresses
for all my websites there or would I create a separate masterzone for
each webserver A address like this:

$ttl 38400
www.jazzkitchen.com.	IN	SOA	mail.srmservices.com.
postmaster.srmservices.com. (
			1111751501
			10800
			3600
			604800
			38400 )
www.jazzkitchen.com.	IN	NS	mail.srmservices.com.
www.jazzkitchen.com.	IN	A	192.168.2.2

I am assuming that since I start my authority at the www. level that
there is no way to get resolution to my internal ip address at just
jazzkitchen.com?  No big loss, I can live with that.

The only other questions I have is whether I need to define the mx for
this domain on my bind setup or will resolution occur properly?

I created a reverse zone entry like this:
$ttl 38400
2.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa.	IN	SOA	mail.srmservices.com.
postmaster.srmservices.com. (
			1111751643
			10800
			3600
			604800
			38400 )
2.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa.	IN	NS	mail.srmservices.com.
2.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa.	IN	PTR	mail.srmservices.com.

This seems to have solve my problem with nslookup.  Thanks for the
help.

Skydiver