Setting up an internal caching dns server with internal web server

skydiver_morgan at yahoo.com skydiver_morgan at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 16:51:05 UTC 2005

Here are my config files:

[root at mail /var/named/chroot> cat etc/named.conf
// generated by named-bootconf.pl

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        /*
         * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
         * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
         * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
         * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
         * port by default.
         */
        // query-source address * port 53;
        forwarders {
                24.93.40.62;
                24.93.40.63;
                };
};

//
// a caching only nameserver config
// a caching only nameserver config
//
controls {
        inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndckey; };
};
zone "." IN {
        type hint;
        file "named.ca";
};

zone "localhost" IN {
        type master;
        file "localhost.zone";
        allow-update { none; };
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "named.local";
        allow-update { none; };
};

include "/etc/rndc.key";
zone "srmservices.com" {
        type master;
        file "/var/named/srmservices.com.hosts";
        };

zone "scottrobertmorgan.com" {
        type master;
        file "/var/named/scottrobertmorgan.com.hosts";
        };

zone "trevorastonusmc.com" {
        type master;
        file "/var/named/trevorastonusmc.com.hosts";
        };

zone "theparishroom.com" {
        type master;
        file "/var/named/theparishroom.com.hosts";
        };

zone "jazzkitchen.com" {
        type master;
        file "/var/named/jazzkitchen.com.hosts";
        };

Here  is the zone file for one of the domains which I am hosting the
website for and am having problems with:

$ttl 38400
jazzkitchen.com.	IN	SOA	mail.srmservices.com.
postmaster.srmservices.com. (
			1111606895
			10800
			3600
			604800
			38400 )
jazzkitchen.com.	IN	NS	mail.srmservices.com.
www.jazzkitchen.com.	IN	A	192.168.2.2
jazzkitchen.com.	IN	A	192.168.2.2
mail.jazzkitchen.com.	IN	A	198.190.219.7
jazzkitchen.com.	IN	MX	10 mail.jazzkitchen.com.

There is an entry in the authorative nameserver's zone file for an
address of pcaproxy.jazzkitchen.com.  which resolves to an address
outside of my network.  If I try to ping that address from a client
machine on my network which is using my internal dns server
(192.168.2.2), I get a "Could not find host" error.

Curiously, when I run nslookup, I get the following error:

*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.2.2: Non-existent domain
Default Server:  aus-dns-cac-01-dmfe0.austin.rr.com
Address:  24.93.40.62

This is my secondary name server as defined on my dhcp service and one
of the forwarding dns servers in my bind setup.

Do you see any area where the problem may lie?

Skydiver