Setting up an internal caching dns server with internal web server

mayer at gis.net mayer at gis.net
Thu Mar 24 18:06:27 UTC 2005

----- Original Message Follows -----
> In article <d1sgub$2hn7$1 at sf1.isc.org>, skydiver_morgan at yahoo.com
> wrote:
>
> > When I define the zones as you described, I lose resolution of all
> > the other entries defined in the domains zone file on the
> > authorative names server.
>
> You shouldn't.  It should only override those specific names, not the
> names in the containing zones.  I think you did something wrong --
> post  your config files.
>
> > Is there no other way using bind to be able to just add the few A
> > records that I am serving and let  the outside ns server resolve the
> > addresses of the A / MX records that I am not serving?
>
> Nope, everything is organized around zones.

Actually yes, though it's still organized around zones.

You create a zone that consists of the specific FQDN eg www.example.com
and put in it the A/AAAA/MX records for that host along with the correct
SOA
and NS records. You'll need separate zones/zonefiles for each host. That
makes your nameserver authorative for just those names you've specified.
This only works for resolvers querying your nameserver unless you get
them
delegated from the parent zone.

Danny