BIND 9.x caching Performance under heavy loads

Rick Jones foo at bar.baz.invalid
Tue Mar 22 01:08:57 UTC 2005

Kelsey Cummings <kgc at sonic.net> wrote:
> Any recomendations from the list?

Try and get a profile from when the CPU is not pegged, and when it is
pegged.  That means finding a profiling tool for your platform that
can attach to a running process.  For Itanium that would be one of
Caliper (Linux or HP-UX) or q-syscollect (Linux).  I'm not sure what
they would be for other platforms, but would love to learn.

Looking at the data for c.ns.sr.sonic.net I see that the ifPackets
seems to increase over time as well, then drop to nearly nil - when
the CPU spikes?  It also seems that there is a point where the forks
spike? Etc etc.

Is there any chance of something, well, nefarious happening here?

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...