IP Address Blocked for SMTP, Server or Account IP?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Mar 22 00:20:56 UTC 2005

In article <d1n7f5$13ec$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Al Franz" <albert at nospam.netmation.com> wrote:

> Thought someone in the BIND group would be best to answer my question.
>
> My ISP server I have my account on is not delivering sent mail to msn.com or
> hotmail.com email addresses.  This server has an IP address and I have an
> account that has it's own IP address on this server.  Which IP address is
> Microsoft blocking most likely?  The IP address of the server or does SMTP
> run under each individual accounts IP address if they have one?

You need to look at your configuration.  If you're running a mail server
on your machine and have it configured to perform delivery on its own,
then they're blocking your IP.  But if you have the more common
configuration where your mail client sends mail to the ISP's SMTP
server, then that's the IP that is being blocked.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA