Bogus LOOPBACK A RR {Scanned}

mayer at gis.net mayer at gis.net
Sun Mar 20 21:15:05 UTC 2005

----- Original Message Follows -----
> Hi,
>
> I just found something very concerning in my log files whereby my
> primary  name server seems to have added a loopback (localhost)
> address which is NOT  owned by us. Can someone please tell me more
> details on what the following  lines mean and if I should be concerned
> with it:
>
> ns_forw: query(29.192.115.200.IN-ADDR.ARPA) Bogus LOOPBACK A RR
> (localhost:127.0.0.1) learnt (A=localhost:NS=200.115.192.29): 1
> Time(s) ns_forw: query(29.192.115.200.IN-ADDR.ARPA) No possible A/AAAA
> RRs: 1  Time(s)
>
> And more important how to prevent my name servers from allowing
> outsiders to  add localhost records to my servers?

You don't give them access to the boxes. localhost is a separate zone
and is set up correctly except that the SOA record for localhost looks
suspicious since it references netbsd.org. I assume you have no
connection
to them. You are probably running the netbsd O/S and it probably
installed
that zone and those records by default.

Danny