rendezvous query from a newbee

Johnathan Long none at i.am.invalid
Tue Mar 15 05:53:23 UTC 2005

In article <d14n2t$178s$1 at sf1.isc.org>, arvindsd at yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am very much new to Zeroconf/ rendezvous.

Please note that this is a Bind group and Zeroconf/rendezvous don't
really have anything to do with Bind specifically.

> I have a lot questions regarding this topic and you may find them very
> elementary but please bear with me.
>
> My understanding and questions:
>
> - Zeroconf is a protocol which when implemented on a network, devices
> can be just plugged in to the network and used without any
> configuration required. The hosts and the clients will exchange
> information and do all the configuration on their own.
>
> - Rendezvous is a software or is it a protocol? I am not sure.

Rendezvous is a set of APIs designed to enable automatic discovery of
computers,  devices, and services on IP networks.

> Whats
> the difference between rendezvous and Zeroconf?

Rendezvous is an implementation of Zeroconf.

> Is Rendezvous meant only for Apple and Windows?

No, but Apple has built Rendezvous (now called Bonjour) into their Mac
OS X product and has also released an SDK for Windows and several
Windows products that make use of Rendezvous (for example iTunes).

> There is a Windows Installation also
> available. What about Rendezvous for Linux?

Try searching Google for "linux rendezvous".

> - What is tmdns? I know that its Trivial Multicast DNS but what has it
> got to do with Zeroconf?

Multicast DNS is the method that applications and services uses to
advertise themselves. It is one of the core parts of Rendezvous.

> - I understand that Zeroconf and DHCP cannot coexist on a network. Am I
> right?

No, you are not.

> - What all do I have to do to make my network and devices Zeroconf
> Enabled?

That's a pretty broad question. Start by seeing if you can get
Rendezvous configured for your system.

> - Can Zeroconf be configured on Windows and Linux Systems?

Yes.

> I thank you all for any help in this regard.

You are welcome.

--
J. Long