Can I use bind 8.x conf files with bind 9.2.3?

MJ php at cyberia.net.sa
Sun Mar 13 07:01:54 UTC 2005

Hi Bill Larson,

Many thanks for your response. Actually I didn't find any step by step
guide for the installation and configuration of BIND 9. I have managed
to install and configure Bind 9 with basic configuration but still a lot
more to do. If you can help me in this I shall be very thank full to
you. I use to get the following error for a zone file which is running
fine with bind 8. Also I have included the zone file and named.conf, so
that you can have a look not only on this error but also suggest me how
is my named.conf. Sorry for the long email.

--------------- Error while loading a zone file which works fine with
Bind 8-------------
Mar 12 17:59:03 sune named[1721]: [ID 873579 daemon.notice] starting
BIND 9.2.3
Mar 12 17:59:03 sune named[1721]: [ID 873579 daemon.error]
dns_rdata_fromtext: xyz.com.hosts:10: near eol: unexpected end of input
Mar 12 17:59:03 sune named[1721]: [ID 873579 daemon.error] zone
xyz.com/IN: loading master file xyz.com.hosts: unexpected end of input
---------------------

------------------------ And here is the zone
file----------------------------------------
$TTL 3600
;       Addresses and other host information
;
;

@       IN      SOA     ns1.mydomain.net.sa. root.mydomain.net.sa. (
                        1 ; serial
                        43200   ; refresh every 12 hours
                        4320    ; retry after 1 hour
                        1209600  ; expire after 2 weeks

                        )
; Define the name servers and mail servers

        IN      NS      ns1.mydomain.net.sa.
        IN      NS      ns2.mydomain.net.sa.

        IN      MX      10 smtp.mydomain.net.sa.

; Define localhost
localhost IN    A       127.0.0.1

; Define hosts in this zone

www     IN      CNAME   webhost.mydomain.net.sa.
ftp     IN      CNAME   ftp.mydomain.net.sa.

-------

--------------------------named.conf------------------------------------
----

options {
//named.conf file for internal primary master server
//created 23.08.2001, rk
//
//
//type domain source file or host
//
directory "/var/named";
pid-file "/var/run/named.pid";
statistics-file "/var/run/named.stats";
auth-nxdomain no;
transfer-format many-answers; // faster transfers
version "Check it tomorrow"; // hide BIND version
recursion yes; };
controls { };
////////////////////////// default zones ////////////////////////////
// Root server hints
zone "." {
type hint;
file "named.root";
};
// Provide a mapping of Looback address
zone "localhost" {
type master;
file "db.localhost";
allow-update { none; };
notify no;
};
// Provide a reverse mapping for the loopback address 127.0.0.1
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa." {
type master;
file "db.localhost.rev";
allow-update { none; };