shutting down due to TCP receive error

Rick Jones foo at bar.baz.invalid
Tue Mar 8 01:33:11 UTC 2005

Clade <cdelia at melitacable.com> wrote:
> I work at an ISP. We have two name servers, a primary and a
> secondary name server. We also have a caching server. The primary
> name server and the caching server sun operate with Solaris 9 and
> they run BIND 9.2.3 . The secondary name server runs Bind 9.2.2 and
> Solaris 8.  Lately, I have been noting error messages like

> named[135]: [ID 873579 daemon.error] dispatch 41d110: shutting down
> due to TCP receive error: connection reset

> on all the three servers. Can someone please help? Although the
> connection is said to be reset, the name service does not appear to
> be effected in any way. On the 2 servers running BIND 9.2.3, BIND is
> running in chroot mode where a directory /var/named has been created
> and all BIND files and services are operating from with this
> directory.

Do you run TCP between the three servers?  If so, Solaris may still
have text in the RST segment that explains the reason for the reset -
a tcpdump trace and a bit of hex decode would be in order, something
that should not be too difficult for an ISP :)

Otherwise, there can be many reasons for a RST - the remote may have
given-up on trying to transmit data to your system(s).  It could be a
Windows or other application that is (ab)using the SO_LINGER option to
use abortive closes.  It could be that your system sent data to the
remote after the remote had called close().

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...