Partial domain nameserver and forwarder, [was Special-case resolution]

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Thu Jul 28 18:25:48 UTC 2005

Jeff Hardy wrote:
> Phrased differently: is it possible to set up two nameservers, each
> knowing only part of a domain, in such a way that nameserver1 would know
> that anything it cannot resolve should be referred to nameserver2.  And
> vice-versa I suppose.  I do not mean by delegation to a subdomain, but
> two authoritative nameservers for example.com, each with half the
> records.

This is much like what I was on about recently:
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 23:36:56 -0500
From: /dev/rob0 <rob0 at gmx.co.uk>
To: bind-users at isc.org
Subject: views and zone overlap

My situation is that I want to have example.net as a dynamic DHCP zone
here at home, and yet still be able to resolve the example.net records
I'm serving to the world.

Being a dynamic zone, the $INCLUDE idea only works once. Changes in the
world view of example.net would have to be manually entered in the home
view of example.net. That's what I want to avoid, although admittedly
it's not a big problem, because the world view won't change often.

Seems like it should be possible, but I haven't figured it out yet.
     or "not-spam" is in Subject: header