Provider and DNS

Eivind Olsen eivind at aminor.no
Tue Jul 26 21:56:31 UTC 2005

--On 26. juli 2005 11:42 -0700 hakim <hakim.st at web.de> wrote:
> 1. Change whois database and who does it?
> 2. Change the primary nameserver of the domain
> 3. Change secondary nameserver to a secondary of  the provider
>
> I think the DNS Server of my TLD needs to know the name and the
> IP-Address of my server. Is that correct?

You're correct, the nameservers for your TLD needs to know the
names/IP-addresses of your servers. Not just your master nameserver but
also the slaves. You should preferrably have nameservers at different
locations. I always like to have nameservers at other ISPs than the one my
own nameserver uses.
How you change this depends on which TLD you're talking about, but normally
you can either change it yourself directly, or you should let the service
provider you bought the domain name through do the work. Without knowing
which TLD we're talking about, I can't be more specific.

Anyway, you need to decide which nameservers should be hosting your domain
and get the delegation changed accordingly. This will normally have the
added effect of updating the WHOIS-database. Before you get the delegation
changed, your new nameservers (master + slaves) should be configured to
serve your domain.

--
Regards / Hilsen
Eivind Olsen