slave bind skips delegation record in master zone

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jul 25 19:38:25 UTC 2005

kent at cpttm.org.mo wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We have an NT4 DNS server hosting a zone for domain "foo" and
>a Bind slave server for that zone. Everything is working fine
>except that, if in the zone I add an NS record for bar.foo to
>delegate it to a third DNS server like:
>
>    bar.foo.   NS  c001.foo.
>
>Then for some unknown reason the Bind server will silent
>skip this record during zone transfer. That is, I checked the
>zone file for "foo" on the Bind server and that record was
>not there. Is there anything that I can check?

Is this BIND 8, and is the nameserver also a slave for the child zone?
BIND 8 had problems distinguishing the NS records "above" a zone cut,
from those "below" the zone cut. Apparently it doesn't think it needs
the parent NS records since it has a copy of them in the child. Needless
to say, this behavior can cause some nasty surprises when you change
your master/slave configurations, or if you upgrade from BIND 8 to BIND
9 which exhibits the *correct* behavior and thus won't be able to fudge
the absence of delegating NS records in the parent zone...

                                                               - Kevin