TTL not decreasing on slave servers

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Thu Jul 21 23:09:29 UTC 2005

> Zone transfers are OK, but I have problems when it comes to change a
> zone file. I increase the serial number on the master, and then all
> notifies are sent correctly. Zones are transfered, but if I query the
> slaves I always get the same maximum TTL per record, and record values
> are not updated as well.

The slaves are authoritative as well, don't forget. They will always return the correct, absolute TTL, just liek the master. To outsiders there is no practical difference between a master and a slave. Only a cache will return the currently remaining TTL.

What "record values" are you expecting to see updated? If the SOA you get from the slave is the same as the SOA you get from the master, then the zone transfers are working correctly.

Regards, K.