BIND .ixfr and .log Files

Merton Campbell Crockett mcc at CATO.GD-AIS.COM
Thu Jul 21 12:59:56 UTC 2005

I am running BIND 8.3.7-REL.  To resolve some issues with the "funky" host
names used by our IT Desktop Support group, I've changed several zones
from static to dynamic.  The ISC DHCP server performs all dynamic DNS
updates.

The .ixfr and .log files that "DNS and BIND, 4th Edition" and "The DHCP
Handbook, 2nd Edition" identify as being created when an update occurs do
not appear to be created or, in some cases, they are created and then
later removed.  The master zone files on disk appear to have all of the
updated records.

I presume that the .ixfr and .log files are not created until an update
occurs.  Both books imply that once the .ixfr and .log files are created
that they remain forever and discuss options that you can use to limit the
size of the files.  There is no indication that the files are deleted.

Under what conditions are the .ixfr and .log files deleted?

The systems running BIND are seldom rebooted.  One has been up 765 days
since its last reboot.  BIND is seldom restarted.  If one of the static
zones changes "ndc reload <zone>" is used to load the new zone file.  I
used "ndc reconfig" followed by "ndc reload <zone>" for each of the zones
that were changed from static to dynamic.  Should I have stopped and
restarted named?

I did stop and restart the ISC DHCP Server.

Merton Campbell Crockett

--
BEGIN:				vcard
VERSION:			3.0