bind, Microsoft Active Directory, Exchange and Magic Pixie Dust

Eugene Grant Eugene_Grant at wrdsb.on.ca
Mon Jul 18 13:55:23 UTC 2005

We run it exclusively on Bind. AD updates the OpenBSD systems running our BIND 9.2.1.

Absolutely no issues.

GC information is there and readily accessible.

Eugene

Brett Carr <brettcarr at ripe.net> on Monday, July 18, 2005 at 8:58 AM +0000 wrote:
>On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Barry Finkel wrote:
>
>> I am not sure what is meant by
>>
>>      "You must have a Microsoft DNS" in order for the Microsoft
>>      Exchange package to work correctly.
>>
>> And it appears that you do not know either.  A quick Google search
>> did not show any relevant pages.
>>
>> As I have posted previously, here is the setup I have:
>>
>>      ONE MS W2k+3 DNS for the four "_" zones and two W2k+3 zones
>>           for anl.gov
>>
>>      That MS DNS Server also has sets of four "_" zones for about 11
>>           subdomains of anl.gov.
>>
>>      All of the zones on the MS DNS Server are slaved on my four local
>>           BIND servers and two off-site BIND servers.
>>
>>      ALL clients (Windows, Mac, Unix, VMS, et alia) are configured to
>>           use my local BIND servers for DNS resolution; no client should
>>           ever query my MS DNS Server (but there is no harm if it does).
>>
>>      There are at least six MS Exchange Servers here, and none has DNS
>>      problems.
>

>Maybe there is some confusion between DNS and Global Catalog Servers.
>Exchange 2000/2003 must have (fast) access to a GC Server or they will not
>work. Exchange is very dependant on AD for some of its core
>functionality.
>As for DNS theres absoloutley no reason to not run a mixture of MS and
>BIND (in fact its properly a good way to go) However I wouldn't like to
>try and implement it all on BIND only.
>I think IF you could get it to work it would be more hassle than it's
>worth.
>
>--
>Brett Carr                              Ripe Network Coordination Centre
>System Engineer -- Operations Group     Singel 258 Amsterdam NL
>http://www.ripe.net

Eugene A. Grant  CISSP, CCSA, CCSE
Security Technical Analyst,
IT Services
Waterloo Region District School Board
Phone (519)570-0003 EXT 4460
(FAX) (519)742-1364
eugene_grant at wrdsb.on.ca

"What goes up, must come down. Ask any system administrator."
Eugene Grant

This email including any attachments is intended only for the addressee
named above and it may contain confidential or privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender and note
that the contents must not be disclosed to anyone else.
Waterloo Region District School Board will not be liable for any error in
transmission. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening
any attachments. Opinions, conclusions and other information that do not
relate to the official business of Waterloo Region District School Board are
neither given nor endorsed by it.