Zonefile Naming Conventions

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jul 15 22:02:05 UTC 2005

I use the zone name as the zonefile name for all zone except "." of
course, which I call simply "root".

As for zonefile *directory* conventions, I have a variety of different
conventions, depending on whether the nameserver instance has multiple
views, whether or not it's chroot'ed, etc. We've never had enough zones
that it has made sense to group zonefiles into subdirectories purely for
filesystem performance reasons, but the number of zones we host is
growing by leaps and bounds, so I expect I'll have to do that soon...

                                             - Kevin