Some hints on DNS config? [part 2]

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Jul 14 11:04:23 UTC 2005

At 11:42 AM +0100 2005-07-14, Kimi Ostro wrote:

>  What I ment was, where does the information about the caching service
>  get put? do I just configure it as another nameserver in the zone
>  file? or the authoratatives resolv.conf ? why I say this is because I
>  dont understand how any-one/thing is suppose to get to the cache?

	Caching is turned on by default.  If you want caching, then all
you have to do is make sure you don't turn it off.

	If you want to be more secure, and avoid having your server being
an open/caching recursive nameserver (which opens your server to
being used to DDoS other people, makes you more vulnerable to cache
poisoning, allows spammers to stealth-host a domain via your
nameserver, etc...), then what you need to do is to restrict caching
to just your local clients.  Restricting caching to just local
clients is done by defining a restrictive IP network/netmask for
which you will allow such queries to come.

	You should also check out the Team Cymru "Secure BIND Template"
at <http://www.cymru.com/Documents/secure-bind-template.html>.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755