A question regarding the db.cache file

Klas Bengtsson klasbengtsson99 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 11 15:27:34 UTC 2005

Hi!

I am running a BIND 9.3.0 name server. As I understand it, when BIND first
starts up, a very low random RTT value is given to each DNS server listed in
the db.cache file. This ensures that the name server queries all name
servers before choosing the nearest. If this server, however, becomes
unreachable, then another one is selected.

What I would like to know is what triggers the coming back into play of the
first server (once the fault is removed)?

BR,
Klas