cTLD and DNS upgrade

Simon Leinen simon at limmat.switch.ch
Tue Jul 5 08:21:51 UTC 2005

Mark Andrews writes:
>> On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 05:44:24PM +1000,
>> Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote
>> a message of 29 lines which said:
>>
>> > 	Well authoritative servers still need their own resolver if
>> > 	they are to support NOTIFY.
>>
>> They could call getaddrinfo() like anyone else.

> 	You must be kidding.

Can you elaborate? Are you worried about bootstrapping issues or what?

I must say that Stephane's suggestion makes sense to me: Add a
compile-time configuration option to suppress all caching/resolving
code for an authoritative-only nameserver, and use getaddrinfo() to
resolve names where necessary (finding implicit NOTIFY destinations).

For setups with distributed (anycast) recursive nameservers and/or
"notify explicit" this looks very feasible to me.
--
Simon.