libbind / FD_SETSIZE question (on Windows)

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu Jan 27 03:20:54 UTC 2005

At 09:11 AM 1/26/2005, Stefan Puiu wrote:
>Does it look ok to you? I've used 0xFFFFFFFF as highestFD, since I'm not
>aware of a Windows #define for the maximum socket descriptor value.

You really DON'T want to do this. FD_SETSIZE is used for a number of arrays.
You'd end up with a HUGE memory problem for arrays that are sparsely
populated. You really don't want to step through an array like that.
It's one of the reasons that socket-handling was totally redesign in BIND 9.3.0
(and 9.2.4) for Windows. The overhead was outrageous. You need to understand
that FD_SETSIZE is used in different ways on Unix and may have different
uses depending on the assumptions made.

Danny