rbl-plus zone transfers

Jorg B. jorg_b at cwo.com
Mon Jan 24 18:39:25 UTC 2005

Hello,

We are using Bind 9.2.4 on Slackware linux (kernel 2.4.29).
We are a subscriber of the rbl-plus.mail-abuse.org black list which is
currently ~108Mb in size.
I have done some searching around and I know the the bind/rbl-plus issue
is a known issue... but since all of the reports were over a year old I
was wondering if anybody has found a solution to the problem.

Here is a description of the problem again:

When the server is doing a zone transfer of the rbl-plus.mail-abuse.org
zone file the memory usage of bind is going up by a factor of 3 (which I
understand is normal).
So, the 108Mb zone will take about 324Mb of ram. This means that
including my other zone files named uses about 465Mb of RAM.
So far so good... The problem starts when named is doing another zone
transfer of  the rbl-plus zone... Now the mem usage of named reaches
about 900Mb.
A few hours later when the next zone transfer takes place the mem usage
of named keeps going up. I understand that bind reads the zone into
memory during a zone transfer, writes it out to a file, replaces the old
zone file and finally reloads the zone... but why isn't named freeing up
the *temp* memory after the zone is written to disk ?
My dedicated RBL DNS server currently has 1GB of Ram and 1GB of  swap
which is not enough to handle the rbl-plus zone.

Any feedback ?

Thanks
JB