queryperf warnings aimed at BIND 9.3.0 Win32

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Sat Jan 15 04:27:41 UTC 2005

At 11:08 PM 1/14/2005, Danny Mayer wrote:
>At 10:27 PM 1/14/2005, Vinny Abello wrote:
> >I'm trying to gauge the performance on BIND 9.3.0 running on some Windows
> >Server 2003 boxes vs a FreeBSD 5.3 test box. For some reason whenever I aim
> >queryperf at one of the Windows boxes, I get the following output on every
> >query:
> >
> >Warning: Received a response with an unexpected (maybe timed out) id: 1531
> >Warning: Received a response with an unexpected (maybe timed out) id: 1531
> >Warning: Received a response with an unexpected (maybe timed out) id: 1531
> >Warning: Received a response with an unexpected (maybe timed out) id: 1531
> >Warning: Received a response with an unexpected (maybe timed out) id: 1534
> >Warning: Received a response with an unexpected (maybe timed out) id: 1536
> >Warning: Received a response with an unexpected (maybe timed out) id: 1536
> >Warning: Received a response with an unexpected (maybe timed out) id: 1537
> >Warning: Received a response with an unexpected (maybe timed out) id: 1537
> >

> >But the queries succeed. If I aim it at a FreeBSD box running BIND, I don't
> >get this. If I aim it at a Windows box running Microsoft DNS I don't get
> >this. It's only on Windows Server 2003 running BIND 9.3.0 that I'm seeing
> >this problem. It's definitely causing skewed test results from the output
> >as my tests scores are way higher when I've got lower latency to the test
> >box I'm running queryperf on. I looked at the source for queryperf briefly
> >and not being a programmer at all, I'm not quite sure why this would be
> >happening.
>
>What happens if you aim it at an XP or 2000 box running BIND 9.3.0?
>I only looked at queryperf long enough to get it to run on Win32 so I
>have no idea where this message comes from. Are there any errors
>in the event log?

Maybe I worded this incorrectly.

Queryperf IS running on FreeBSD 5.3. When aimed at FreeBSD/BIND 9.3.0
(itself) it works fine. When aimed at Windows Server 2003/BIND 9.3.0 on 3
different machines (two on the same 100Mb switched subnet) I get the above
errors. When aimed at Windows Server 2003/MSDNS I do NOT get the errors.
When aimed at other FreeBSD/BIND 9.3.0 servers it works fine. So it seems
to only be an issue with BIND 9.3.0 on Windows Server 2003 (possibly other
Windows versions as well. I could test it on 2000 or XP I suppose). I was
trying to find out why this was and how to correct it as it's skewing the
test scores. The Windows/BIND 9.3.0 servers are working perfectly fine
otherwise as far as I can tell... other than some crashing issues on
occasion but that's a different subject.

>Danny
>
> >Anyone have any ideas? I did some Googling for a while but didn't turn up
> >anything worthwhile.
> >
> >Thanks in advance!
> >
> >Vinny Abello
> >Network Engineer
> >Server Management
> >vinny at tellurian.com
> >(973)300-9211 x 125
> >(973)940-6125 (Direct)
> >PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A
> >
> >Tellurian Networks - The Ultimate Internet Connection
> >http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN
> >
> >There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and
> >those that don't.

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management