subdomain authority??

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Dec 22 19:47:57 UTC 2005

In article <doebu7$15ct$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "TIM MOORE" <MOORET10 at odjfs.state.oh.us> wrote:

> This might be a simple question, I just haven't found the answer looking
> through the archives.  I want to know if I can be authoritative for a
> subdomain (eg. child.example.com) and still send requests for the parent
> domain to a specific external server (example.com).

That's what happens by default.  A server responds authoritatively for
any zones it's authoritative for, and recurses for everything else.

>  We currently run
> DNS completely internal to the internet and I would like to be
> authoritative for a subdomain and still have the requests for the parent
> domain go to a public DNS server.  How would I do the config?  Would I
> use a foward statement specifically for the parent domain, or would
> requests naturally go to our fowarder because we do not have the
> parent?

They'll naturally go to your forwarder.  Isn't this what happens when a
server is authoritative for example.com and someone asks for
somethingelse.com?  Is there any difference between this and being
authoritative for child.example.com and processing requests for
example.com?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA