Question on use of Forwarders and a lame deligation

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Dec 22 19:42:32 UTC 2005

In article <doetp2$2061$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Comcast" <patrickdant at comcast.net> wrote:

> I am trying to create a situation where my internal DNS infrastructure can
> do a query for a domain that is an external partner. The plan is to create
> deligation records on the root to point to a secondary DNS server that in
> turn has a forward to the perimeter DNS of the partner.
> The goal is to support non-recursive queries on the root, but recursive
> queries on the forwarder. I understand that the root deligation seems lame,
> but I am hoping that the referal will enable the client to resolve the
> partner DNS domain via the forward.
>
> Do you think this will work, or is there a better solution?

I don't think this will work.  When following referrals, BIND sends
non-recursive queries, but forwarders are only used when recursion is
requested.

So either have the delegation point directly to the partner's server, or
make the server that you delegate to a slave of the partner's server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA