named answering slowly for not cached domain

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Dec 14 23:15:40 UTC 2005

> Hi!
> We use bind 9.3.1 on solaris 8.
> We noticed that when we request our DNS for a domain that is cached we receiv
> e a rapid answer (less than 100 ms). Great!
> The problem is when we we request our DNS for a domain that is not cached, th
> at take about 4000 ms. Of course if we ask again this request that will take
> less than 100ms.
> This 4000ms for a request that is not cached seems realy slow and some other
> DNS in the internet seem to answer faster than that for a request of domain n
> ot cached.
> Is-it normal to be that slow for a not cached request?
> Could we do something to solve it?
> Is it related to our DNS version (9.3.1)?
> Thanks a lot for your help!

	Get yourself IPv6 connectivity.  This is the best long term
	solution.  SunOS 5 doesn't return a error indication when
	there is no route to the detination address.  Named has to
	timeout on the two IPv6 addresses for the COM/NET servers
	rather than fail immediately.

	In the short term you can use "named -4".

	Mark.
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org