resolver implementation as per RFC 1123

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Wed Dec 14 11:21:53 UTC 2005

sanjib das wrote:
> hi
> As per RFC 1123, section 6.1.3.3, point (3)
>
> "All DNS name servers and resolvers SHOULD cache temporary failures, with a
> timeout period of the order
> of minutes.
>
> DISCUSSION:
>         This will prevent applications that immediately
>          retry soft failures (in violation of Section 2.2
>          of this document) from generating excessive DNS traffic."

I live behind a NAT-router and my ISP believes it makes sense to forecefully
interrupt my session from time to time, giving me a new ip-address every time.

That is why I could not use Bind 8.

After one week Bind 8 did no longer resolve anything at all.

> if I have two servers for my private domain
> one is caching & another one as primary servers,
> say I sent same query to the caching server(for max no. of retransmissions
> allowd) & which in  turn forwards it to the main server....& dint get any
> reply from
> the main server...
> If I want to send the same query..whether my caching will cache this
> temporary
> failure from earlier case...or it will again forward it to the primary
> server...
> I'm using bind-9.2.4 for both the servers...
>
> please comment..whether bind9 follows this point of RFC1123
>
> thanks & regards
> Sanjeev

I remember there is a switch in both Bind 8 and Bind 9. The default is for
Bind 9 not to cache negative responses. Bind 8 did by default cache them.

There are animals like zeroconfig and bonjour. I dont know what they think
about negative responses. E.g. ".local" as used in an unofficial root-server
did brake several windows PCs. RFC1123 will answer for ".local"

Regards,
Peter and Karin Dambier

--
Peter and Karin Dambier