IXFR Question: BIND 9.2.x

Danny Thomas d.thomas at its.uq.edu.au
Mon Dec 12 22:57:08 UTC 2005

blrmaani at gmail.com asked:
>When Master initates a zone transfer using incremental zone transfer,
>how long will it take to complete the zone transfer?
one data point from when we were running bind-9.2.x under Digital UNIX
4 on an alpha. One of the zones we were secondarying for another university
was quite small, e.g. the zone file was less than 1K, yet the zone
transfer would take >10minutes and the OS was doing large amounts of
I/O and generally being impacted. All went away with a simple:
  request-ixfr no;

Dunno whether that was a bind (9.2)  bug or some interaction with the OS
NB there did not seem anything out of the ordinary in the zone file

Danny

--
   d.thomas at its.uq.edu.au    Danny Thomas,
          +61-7-3365-8221    Software Infrastructure,