SOA serial rotation

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Thu Dec 1 18:52:31 UTC 2005

> To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
> From: base60 <nobody at whitehouse.com>
> Subject: Re: SOA serial rotation
> Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 02:12:54 GMT
>
> Sam Wilson wrote:
> > Can anyone provide a current reference showing how to recover from a
> > mistakenly high value of the SOA serial number?
>
> Change it to a zero, let it flush through and then reset.

But doing this causes problems with those servers elsewhere on the
internet.  Serial numbers get out of whack and then require manual
intervention.

If you bump the serial properly, then they will discard the info
sooner.  Which is what you really want.

> > I'm sure there used to
> > be good web pages about it but I can't find them any more.  The RFC
> > describing sequence space numbering doesn't actually give any examples
> > of what it's useful for!
> >
> > (It's for someone else.  Yes, I could write a description myself but it
> > wouldn't be as good as descriptions I remember reading elsewhere.)
> >
> > Sam

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1          | Fax:      408.894.3400
San Jose, CA 95134                   | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin