More on named-checkconf error message

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Wed Oct 20 05:18:05 UTC 2004

At 12:06 AM 10/20/2004, you wrote:
>At 10:31 AM 10/19/2004, Ian Wark wrote:
> >Danny,
> >Thank you very much for your prompt response.
> >
> >I was running the named-checkconf from a user with administrator privileges,
> >but none on the dns folder. After changing user permissions, however, I
> >still get the same fatal error. But here is more information. It is not that
> >I cannot run the exe file, because if I use the -v option I get output
> >indicating the version (I presume that is what the -v option does). The
> >programs runs normally. Unfortunately, I cannot get anything else to work.
> >In addition, I can get rndc.exe and named-checkzone to throw the same fatal
> >exception too. But it doesn't happen all the time. I have received different
> >messages from both checkzone and rndc too. I can get loading "zone" from
> >"martyskinder.dip.jp.zone" class "IN" for the former on the
> >martyskinder.dip.jp.zone file. And permission denied for rndc.
> >
> >Exception Information
> >Code: 0xc0000005 Flags: 0x00000000
> >Record: 0x0000000000000000 Address: 0x000000007c958fea
> >
> >ntdll.dll comes up each time as the main cause in the windows error dialog.
> >It is the one that asks if I want to send the error info to Microsoft.
> >
> >In Visual C++ debugger the message is
> >Unhandled exception in [XXXX.exe] (NTDLL.DLL): 0xC0000005: Access Violation
> >
> >I get the feeling this does not have anything to do with permissions after
> >all. Just accessing an address that doesn't exist? Is it possible that XP
> >service pack 2 is the problem? I just downloaded it recently.
>
>No it has nothing to do with the service pack. Try uninstalling and
>reinstalling.
>It's possible you have a DLL version mismatch.

Speaking of crashes, using 9.2.4 utilities (on Windows XP) I was able to
use named-checkconf.exe and named-checkzone.exe on a remote machine that
BIND is not installed on (providing I copy all the proper DLL's to
system32). Using 9.3.0 both of those programs crash. This is what
named-checkconf gives me:

Unhandled exception at 0x7c918fea in named-checkconf.exe: 0xC0000005:
Access violation writing location 0x00000010.

This is on a fresh install of Windows too without the previous 9.2.4 files
having been on the system. If I actually install BIND on the machine, it
doesn't crash. I think it's looking for something from the BIND
installation that it cannot find. Any ideas with this?

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and
those that don't.