Query on forwarding in Bind 9.2.x

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Oct 19 16:01:50 UTC 2004

Lokesh K <KLokesh at novell.com> wrote:
> I am doing some testing with Bind 9.2.x on SUSE Linux, and found that
> query resolution to child zones through glue records is not working if
> one or more forwards configured. Following is my test scenario. Please,
> let me know if something is wrong with my configuration.
> =20
> 1. parent.com is a zone with a child zone child.parent.com. As usual,
> parent.com has glue records pointing to Name servers of child zone.
> 2. parent.com name server has 3 forwarders configured and forwarding is
> configured to forward first.
> 3. child.parent.com has a record called baby.
> =20
> With this configuration, if I query parent.com name server for
> baby.child.parent.com, query resolution fails.
> But, if I remove forwarding in parent.com name server query resolution
> to baby.child.parent.com works fine.
> As per Bind 9 documentation, we can avoid forwarding to a zone using
> empty forward list (e.g. forwarders { }). But, there is no mention of
> how to use this option to avoid forwarding queries on child zones.
> Please, let me know whether it's a defect or we need to configure it
> differently
> =20
> Thanks in Advance,
> Lokesh

In your place i would stop using forwarders. Remove it and=20
see if your problems disappear.

I strongly suspect that you don't have any need for forwarding.
Post config & relavant details here and someone will mist
likley comment about it.

--=20
Peter H=E5kanson        =20
           Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam out=
,