DNS Failover

Maria Iano maria at iano.org
Thu Oct 14 14:53:41 UTC 2004

We use GSLBs for load balancing between web sites but mostly for failover in case a primary site goes down. Usually they work pretty well. It's true that some name servers don't handle TTLs properly, but from my experience at watching the traffic I can tell you that it works for the vast majority.

Personally I haven't found it to be the case, as stated in the article you mention, that I have to restart my browser for the new A record to take effect. It has been my experience that the browser catches on and goes to the new IP pretty much immediately. The browsers I use most frequently are Firefox, Safari and IE. They are recent versions. Maybe the problems you describe occurred with older versions?...

Maria