Bind9 + PPP problem

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Wed Oct 13 14:01:41 UTC 2004

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 20:30:11 +0200,
"P.B." <donald.at.duckburg.cjb.net at giganews.com> wrote:

> I've just set up my linux box as PPP DialUp Server and can connect and do
> everything except resolve names. The Linux server is also running Bind for
> several years now - without problems.
>
> There are several interfaces in this server (eth, wlan, ppp0(~ISP) - and
> when serving dialup clients, also ppp1). The installed DNS works properly
> for ALL installed interfaces, EXCEPT for ppp1.
>

> I've tried the following:
>
> 1) Iptables entries are the same for wlan (where DNS works). Also tried
> dropping iptables: no change.
> 2) Checked connection by connecting by IP (instead of by name)
> 3) used tcpdump to see what's happening: DNS request coming in from
> ppp-client, but no answer.
> 4) bind's logs: (turned everything on for debugging): Request from
> ppp-client does not show up in the logs,
> but all other requests do.
> 5) Changed named.conf to bind to interface ppp1's IP, too.
> 6) Setup pppd to give the ppp-client an external DNS: works properly - So
> that's why I assume it's my DNS having problems.

Have you tried setting the interface-interval in named.conf to something
short?  For example

 options {
 interface-interval 1;
 }

should make named scan for interfaces once every minute rather than
its default once per hour.  If ppp1 is only up when someone dials
in, that might be necessary.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for