bind hassles

Drew Schatt schatt at schatt.com
Tue Oct 12 04:19:08 UTC 2004

lsof is a wonderful tool on unix type machines.
You can get it from ftp://lsof.itap.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof/

It lists open files (and, if run by a superuser account) for all
processes (or just the uid that is running it if non-root).
Since, in Unix, everything is a file, this includes ports,
configuration files, memory, devices, current directories, and
everything else.
So...
to find if a name server is running:
lsof | grep TCP | grep 53
would list the process (regardless of name) that has port 53 open (and
if it's not listening on 53, it's probably not a very good name
server).

For whatever other services, you could do the same thing. Once you know
the process name (usually the first column in the lsof output), you can
run a lsof | grep <processname> , and that will show you everything
that the process has open.
	-Drew Schatt