Dynamic DNS & SDB

ms419 at freezone.co.uk ms419 at freezone.co.uk
Mon Oct 4 16:45:27 UTC 2004

Our organization stores static DNS information in LDAP, & uses Stig
Venaas' LDAP SDB backend. Thank you Stig!

We would also like to use dynamic DNS updates, but this doesn't seem to
work; we're using BIND 9.2.4:

ourhost:~> nsupdate
 > update add newhost.ourdomain 86400 A 172.16.1.1

update failed: SERVFAIL

While we could create a separate subdomain for dynamic DNS, our reverse
zones are all in LDAP, so we can't dynamically update reverse lookup
information, which is essential.

I am prepared to do a bit O' coding to make this work, but the problem
seems to be the SDB backend doesn't support dynamic updates (as of
9.2.4).

It isn't necessary that dynamic updates be actually propagated to the
LDAP database (kewl as that would be); we are satisfied to store
dynamic updates transiently in memory.

Is anyone familiar with:

1 ) using SDB & dynamic DNS updates together?
2 ) using a dynamically updatable database in front of an SDB database?
3 ) another DNS server, supporting dynamic DNS updates & LDAP, or SQL?

Thank you!

Jack