libbind and/or replacement

Stefan Puiu stefanpuiu at itcnetworks.ro
Tue Oct 26 14:35:18 UTC 2004

If you need the res_nXXX functions, you might want to try statically
linking with the libbind from BIND 8 instead of your OS's resolver
library. That way you won't need to tell people to have libbind installed.

The solution also depends on the OS's you'll be supporting. I've tried
building a recent libbind (8.4.4) on Windows and failed, and from what I
understand it's not exactly trivial. On some versions  you also need to
modify the libbind.exp file if you use functions not included there (for
example res_nclose, IIRC). I didn't have these problems on UNIX, though.

libbind in the BIND9 source is actually the same library as in BIND 8.
BIND 9 uses libdns and libisc (and a few others), which seem to be
intended to be internal APIs - they are design according to the
internals of the new name server. They are more difficult to use than
standard libbind.