Usage of BIND in TLDs

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard J.deBoynePollard at Tesco.NET
Thu Nov 18 04:44:22 UTC 2004

JdeBP> (Anthony might be interested to learn that not all TLDs
JdeBP> use BIND, by the way. I know of one TLD that uses
JdeBP> "djbdns", for example.)

BC> ( Anthony's TLD, 'mp', now uses PowerDNS )

I know.  I've been watching his foray into the world of PowerDNS.  I don't know
whether he decided to try it before or after he read what I posted.  (What's
particulary interesting is that he's trying to configure it to do *exactly*
what I said, last year, a TLD registry, such as Verisign, could do to thwart
the flawed "delegation-only" mechanism.  I am waiting to see whether he achieves
it.)

<URL:http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/verisign-internet-coup.html#Resistance>

BC> ( Note that a given nameserver may serve multiple TLDs, [...] )

So a breakdown by number of distinct server IP addresses (not server
names), in addition to the one by number of TLDs, might be a good idea.