How to reach an internal web server via domain name

Peter Paul Jansen ppjansen at eee.nl
Thu Nov 4 13:33:15 UTC 2004

L.S.

Here's my problem.

I have a web server (Suse Linux 9) running in my LAN, ip 10.0.0.10.
We are connected through an adsl router to the internet.
I have set the routing table so http requests from the outside for
www.eee.nl\
are redirected to 10.0.0.10

My colleagues inside the lan are not so enthousiastic about the fact
that they have to type in an IP number in stead of the url.

I am running named.

I have added to
/var/lib/named/etc/named.conf
the lines:

zone "eee.nl" in {
      type master;
      file "eee-internal.zone";
      notify no;
};

In the directory:
/var/lib/named
I have added a text file called:
eee-internal.zone
containing the following text:
$TTL 1W
eee.nl   IN SOA      www         ppj.eee.nl.(
                     2004100101  ; serial
                     1D          ; refresh
                     2H          ; retry
                     1W          ; expiry
                     2D          ; minimum

         IN NS       www
www      IN A        10.0.0.10

If I type www.eee.nl in my browser (inside the LAN of course) I get
switched to search.msn.nl (or equivalent message, depending on the
setting of the browser) that tells me there are no results found for
www.eee.nl.

Can anyone point me to the solution in this dilemma

TIA

Peter Paul Jansen
Triple EEE management Support BV
Rijswijk, The Netherlands