Reverse Delegation

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Wed Nov 3 21:37:47 UTC 2004

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 11/03/2004 03:53:33 PM:
> We just started using a new ISP for connectivity at our offices. They're

> a reseller of another, national ISP.
>
> I'm trying to get them to set up delegation of reverse DNS for our
> network.  I believe the reseller has some access to the larger ISPs DNS
> systems so that they can set up PTR records or CNAMEs in the
in-addr.arpa
> zones for their customers.  I'm not sure that they can create NS records

> to delegate subzones, however.
>
> Instead of them doing a fairly standard RFC 2317 delegation, as we've
> always done with our providers
>
> 0-26    IN NS ns1.mydomain.com.
>         IN NS ns2.mydomain.com.
> $ORIGIN .
> 0       IN CNAME 0.0-26.95.104.199.in-addr.arpa.
> 1       IN CNAME 1.0-26.95.104.199.in-addr.arpa.
> 2       IN CNAME 1.0-26.95.104.199.in-addr.arpa.
> etc.
>
> would the following, without creating a delegated subzone, work just as
> well, or are there potential problems?
>
> $ORIGIN .
> 0       IN CNAME 0-officenet.mydomain.com.
> 1       IN CNAME 1-officenet.mydomain.com.
> 2       IN CNAME 2-officenet.mydomain.com.
> etc.

If you are say that in the 2.168.192.in-addr.arpa zone you want to put
things like:

15      IN      CNAME  host-15.domaina.com
16      IN      CNAME    host-16.domaina.com

and in the zone file for domaina.com you want to put things like:

host-15 IN      PTR     www.domaina.com.
host-16 IN      PTR     www.someotherdomain.com.

Then, yes it will work.  As a matter of fact, this naming convention is
outlined as a alternate method in RFC2317.

hth,

Dave...