Recommendations on integrating BIND and AD

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard J.deBoynePollard at Tesco.NET
Mon Mar 22 05:20:37 UTC 2004

MD> Actually, this is backwards.

But your "clarification" is no better.

MD> MS server improperly removes DDNS.

That sentence makes no sense.

MD> MS OSs don't properly remove entries they have made once they
MD> are no longer needed (AD DHCP doesn't add clients, they
MD> self-register).

Whether Microsoft DHCP clients perform the Dynamic DNS updates themselves or
whether the Microsoft DHCP server performs them on behalf of the clients is
configurable at the Microsoft DHCP server.  It can be done either way.
Microsoft DHCP clients perform Dynamic DNS updates, if they are the ones
configured to do so, at both lease grant and lease revocation.

MD> MS DNS servers assume that clients don't clean up after
MD> themselves,

... (which of course they don't when people unplug their laptops and walk
away or simply switch their machines off at the end of the day - alas) ...

MD> and drop all DNS entries made dynamically.

This, too, is configurable.  Moreover, "aging and scavenging" is
disabled by default.

MD> MS OSs assume the DNS server is going to silently discard their
MD> DNS entries [...]

False.

MD> I have a completely ISC DNS/DHCP shop with AD.

... which possibly explains why you don't have an accurate understanding of
Microsoft's DHCP server, DHCP clients, DNS clients, and DNS server.

Read
<URL:http://microsoft.com./windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/cnet/cncf_imp_jqsu.asp>,
<URL:http://microsoft.com./resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/enterprise/proddocs/en-us/sag_DHCP_imp_InteroperabilityDns.asp>,
and