HELP: Decomissioning a DNS anti-spam list

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 23 00:58:37 UTC 2004

Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> If the actual wildcard record itself could go over the wire, then the
> mulitple queries and responses in a case like this could be collapsed
> into one, and it would then be one hell of a lot easier to decommission
> old (sub-)domains and/or old zones.
Like DNAME?

I think poking the NS'er off into oblivion is the wrong approach, as
some things will restart queries.

Tell them it isn't spam with a very long TTL, you could try collapsing
the tree with DNAMEs, but I suspect it isn't the smarter name servers
causing your grief - have you fingerprinted a few to see what DNS
servers are responsible? And only the smarter name servers will
understand DNAME.

Me I'd be biting Paul's hand off, rather than biting it, someone
actually wants your problem to be their problem instead - this is so
rare in life.

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: OpenPGP digital signature