Zone transfer updates

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 15 21:12:51 UTC 2004

In article <c34th0$149h$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Holdsworth, Matthew" <Matthew.Holdsworth at cwcom.co.uk> wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> In my BIND8 server, using this type of config allowed zone transfers to be
> made between the master and itself, itself being the one that pulled the
> data from the master. Is this not possible to do now using BIND9?
>
> The architecture I have here is as follows:
> I have one master and a secondary, then a number of slaves around ths
> country. I need to get these slaves to recieve zone transfers from the
> secondary master.
> In BIND8 this would have worked and it would not have complained about this
> 'allow-update' option.
>
> One thought, is this 'allow-update' option anything to do with zone
> transfers after all this?

No, it doesn't.  It has to do with the dynamic update mechanism, in
which a client sends a request to add or delete individual records.
That's why you don't need it on the slaves.

Slaves don't "receive zone transfers", they request them.  Zone transfer
is a "pull" mechanism, not a push.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA